Today we found out we are having another baby girl. Although, I have spent a lot of time thinking about and hoping for a boy, I am truly amazed, thrilled, and exceedingly blessed to be the father of another beautiful girl. I think Amelia is going to really enjoy having a little sister and they will be the best of friends (I'm sure the worst of enemies at times too, but ultimately the best of friends)
We are naming our newest little girl Selah Joy. We are pronouncing the first name as SAY-LA. There is some debate as to the proper pronunciation, but we are her parents and are allowed to take whatever creative liberties we choose! The word Selah can be found several times in the book of Psalms and a couple other places in the Old Testament. It's exact meaning is somewhat of a mystery. However, most believe that it is a musical or literary notation meaning something close to "stop and listen" and/or "pause and reflect" or maybe even along the lines of "let those with eyes see and with ears hear". Anna and I also love the encouragement God often gives us in scripture to be still and to rest. Even though these ideas may not be directly connected with the word Selah, we are once again invoking our creative liberties to connect these ideas with our daughter's name. Selah's middle name is Joy. This selection is somewhat timely. As I've mentioned before on this blog, Anna and I have had a very difficult and trying year. Many could consider it not a very "happy" year and therefore unfortunate. The concept of happiness is temporary and based on external circumstances. Anna and I strongly believe that joy comes from the Lord, His joy is our strength in times of trouble, and that joy is based in His eternal and unconditional love. How amazing to recognize our joy ,and to honor God as the source of our joy, with the birth of our daughter near the end of what has been such a difficult year. The following scriptures relate to our daughter's first and middle name. The first set of verses are from Psalms where the notation Selah is used. The other verses are related indirectly.
Psalms 32:7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah
Psalms 49:15 But God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surly take me to himself. Selah
Psalms 67:1 May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us. Selah
Psalms 68:19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Selah
Psalms 84:4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you. Selah
Psalms 85:2 You forgave the iniquity of your people and covered all their sins. Selah
Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
Nehemiah 8:10b ... Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Selah Joy
Posted by JDESJARD at 9:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment